Turkey is investigating the Saudi consul’s home in the Khashoggi missing person

On Wednesday, the Turkish authorities searched the home of the Saudi consul general in Istanbul. The Turkish Public Prosecution Service is trying to find out what happened to the missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

The Turkish police intended to do research on the property of the consulate on Tuesday, but can only do so if the Saudi research team is there. The team arrived at the house on Wednesday at the beginning of the afternoon.

Khashoggi, who as a journalist regularly criticized the Saudi regime and crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, disappeared on 2 October during a visit to the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Saudi Arabia says that he has just left the consulate, but Turkish camera images have shown that he never left.

The Turkish security services would have obtained sound and visual material showing that Khashoggi was tortured and murdered in the consulate. Both the United States and many European countries have demanded clarification from Saudi Arabia.

‘Many suspects are friends with Saudi Crown Prince’

Secret Saudi documents that The New York Times has obtained would show that a number of suspects identified by Turkey in the case of the missing Saudi journalist come from the immediate vicinity of the Saudi Crown Prince.

Many large companies have indicated that they are temporarily refraining from investing in Saudi Arabia until the matter has been cleared up. Many important economic players have also announced that they will refrain from participating in a major investment conference that will soon take place in the Saudi capital Riyadh.

Trump is under attack for pro-Saudi attitude

The American president Donald Trump, who has invested a lot in investing in the trade relationship with Saudi Arabia since he was in the White House, says he believes the crown prince has nothing to do with the case. He bases himself on a telephone conversation with Bin Salman that he had earlier this week.

The fact that Trump claims to believe the crown prince’s claim without reservations led to much criticism from American politicians. Many Republicans and Democrats call for sanctions against Saudi Arabia due to the disappearance of the US resident.

Rectification: Earlier on Wednesday, the Reuters news agency, based on the Saudi newspaper Sabq, reported that the Saudi consul-general was released from office. This was subsequently reported by a large number of international media, including NU.nl. The message from Reuters does not appear to be based on truth; Sabq did not produce an article to that effect.

You might also like More from author

Comments are closed.