No Tour de France in sight, Macron says

Macron gave a speech at the beginning of the evening in which he announced, among other things, that no large public events should take place until at least mid-July.

With this, continuing the Tour de France from June 27 to July 19 seems practically impossible, partly because Tour boss Christian Prudhomme previously emphasized that a race without an audience, as far as that is possible, is not an option for him.

There is a chance that the Tour de France will still be held later this year. Earlier, reports had already leaked that the organization would be busy with a shift of the event. Tour organizer ASO has not yet responded to Macron’s words on Monday.

Shifting the Tour can also have major consequences for the rest of the cycling calendar. The Vuelta a España should start in Utrecht on August 14. The two major rounds may therefore overlap.

The French newspaper Le Dauphiné Libéré announced on Monday evening that it had received a telephone confirmation from Macron about the postponement of the Tour, but later withdrew that message.

L’Equipe however reports that until mid-July only sports behind closed doors may be allowed. “Technically it could be, but it’s still too early to talk about it,” said a spokesman for the Department of Sport.

You might also like More from author

Comments are closed.