Brazilian president finds lockdowns because of COVID-19 exaggerated
São Paulo, the largest Brazilian city, has entered a lockdown in the fight against the corona virus. That measure was against the sore leg of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who calls on residents to continue working and picking up everyday life.
“The mass hysteria surrounding the virus has been caused by the media trying to rip me off.”
Bolsonaro has said several times that he is not impressed by the coronavirus, which he invariably labels as “a small flu”. Schools should also remain open, because the virus is only dangerous to the elderly, the president argues.
In the night from Tuesday to Wednesday, Bolsonaro called in a television speech all mayors and state administrators to scale back the measures taken in response to the virus. Daily life in millions of cities of Rio de Janeiro and now São Paulo is paralyzed by the regulations. “We need to get back to reality,” said Bolsonaro.
According to the Brazilian president, the severity surrounding the virus is based on “a fabrication,” although more than 400,000 people worldwide have been infected and more than 18,000 patients have succumbed to COVID-19. In Brazil, about 2,000 people have been infected so far and 25 patients have died.
In opinion polls, Bolsonaro’s popularity is declining sharply. During his television speech, residents of São Paulo and the capital Brasília protested by making noise with pots and pans.
Bolsonaro, 65, is not worried about his own health:
“Because of my athletic background. I only catch a cold after infection.”
Some individuals with whom Bolsonaro had contact have tested positive for the virus. The president himself has also been tested twice, but he says the results were negative.
Comments are closed.